Cambridge Centre reopens after bomb threat prompts evacuation

By CityNews Kitchener Staff

A busy shopping mall in Cambridge was evacuated on Thursday morning after a bomb threat was reported to Waterloo regional police.

The Cambridge Centre, located just off Hespeler Road, had to close its doors as shoppers and employees were evacuated from the building around 9:00 a.m., and several police cruisers were seen outside the mall’s western entrance.

A spokesperson with the Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) confirmed officers were called after reports of a suspicious package. After a search of the mall, police could not find anything suspicious.

Officials said they did not believe the threat was credible.

Bystanders in the area reported seeing police officers searching nearby garbage bins, while some said they had been told to leave the area due to threats to the mall.

“Everyone was told to get out, just get outside, so that is all we did,” said a shopper named Debbie. “Everybody just came out, and they locked all the doors so we couldn’t get back in.”

Speaking with a 570 NewsRadio reporter, mall employee Amanda said she was eager to return to work.

“I’m just a little concerned about what is going on, but itching to get back in and get to work as long as it’s safe.”

Before noon, the Cambridge Centre mall confirmed its doors had reopened.

“This morning, there was a potential security concern on the property. As a precaution, the mall was evacuated. The centre is now open,” read an Instagram post.


Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today