Skip to content
live

Flood warning issued for Grand River watershed

nith river
Image via Wikipedia

NEWS RELEASE
GRAND RIVER CONSERVATION AUTHORITY
**************************
The Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) is issuing the following Flood Warning message for the communities of New Hamburg, Ayr and Drayton.

Over the past 24 hours, the Grand River watershed has received between 60 mm to 100 mm of rainfall throughout. Flows in local waterways have begun to increase and are forecasted to remain elevated into the weekend, increasing the safety risk around rivers and streams throughout the watershed. Runoff from this event has caused flooding in urban areas including Schneider Creek through the City of Kitchener.

At this time, a Flood Warning is being issued for:

  • Conestogo River (Drayton): Flows in the Conestogo River through Drayton are expected to peak in Flood Warning Zone 1 early Thursday morning. Municipal Flood Coordinators have been advised to notify affected residents and monitor conditions.
  • Nith River (New Hamburg and Ayr): Flows in the Nith River through New Hamburg and Ayr are expected to reach Flood Warning Zone 1. Flows are expected to peak in New Hamburg midday Thursday, September 23 and through Ayr in the early morning of Friday, September 24, based on the current forecast. Municipal Flood Coordinators in these communities are advised to warn affected residents. Municipal Flood Coordinators in Flood Warning areas are advised to take all necessary actions to prepare for the forecasted flood conditions. Residents and businesses located in the floodplain should prepare for the risk of flooding and ensure they are aware of their local municipal flood response plans.

The flood coordinator for Woolwich Township closed the low level bridge upstream of St. Jacobs at 1505 Three Bridges Road on Wednesday afternoon. It is anticipated that this closure will remain in effect throughout the weekend until flows in the Conestogo River recede.

The GRCA’s major reservoirs at Belwood, Conestogo, Guelph, Luther, Woolwich, Laurel and Shade’s Mills are being used to store runoff from this event and help reduce flooding downstream of these reservoirs. The GRCA is actively operating smaller dams at Wellesley and New Dundee to help manage the runoff from this rainfall event.

Stay Safe

The public is encouraged to exercise caution around all local waterways. Banks adjacent to rivers and creeks are very slippery and, when combined with fast-moving water, pose a serious hazard. Parents are reminded to keep their children and pets away from all watercourses.

This message will remain in effect until noon on Friday, September 24, 2021. Updated flood messages will be issued as conditions develop and updated forecast information becomes available.

************************* 

Current Weather

Mist

Mist

3.7°C

Pressure
102.0 Item
Visibility
3.2 km
Dewpoint
3.3 °C
Humidity
97%
Wind
NNW 4 km/h

Radar Satellite


12 Hour Forecast

Today
3 AM
3°C
Periods of drizzle
Today
4 AM
3°C
Periods of drizzle
Today
5 AM
3°C
Cloudy
Today
6 AM
3°C
Cloudy
Today
7 AM
3°C
Cloudy
Today
8 AM
3°C
Cloudy
Today
9 AM
4°C
Cloudy
Today
10 AM
4°C
Cloudy
Today
11 AM
5°C
Overcast
Today
12 PM
6°C
Overcast
Today
1 PM
7°C
Overcast
Today
2 PM
7°C
Overcast

7 Day Forecast

Periods of drizzle

Tonight

3 °C

Cloudy. 30 percent chance of drizzle changing to 70 percent chance of drizzle near midnight. Fog patches developing this evening. Low plus 3.


Overcast

Wednesday

7 °C

Overcast. Fog patches dissipating in the morning. High 7. UV index 1 or low.


Periods of drizzle

Wednesday night

0 °C

Cloudy. 30 percent chance of drizzle late in the evening and after midnight. Fog patches developing after midnight. Wind becoming northwest 20 km/h near midnight. Low zero.


A mix of sun and cloud

Thursday

3 °C

A mix of sun and cloud. High plus 3.


Clear

Thursday night

-4 °C

Clear. Low minus 4.


Cloudy

Friday

1 °C

Cloudy. High plus 1.


Chance of flurries

Friday night

-5 °C

Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 5.


Chance of flurries

Saturday

0 °C

Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. High zero.


Cloudy periods

Saturday night

-4 °C

Cloudy periods. Low minus 4.


Chance of rain showers or flurries

Sunday

2 °C

A mix of sun and cloud with 30 percent chance of rain showers or flurries. High plus 2.


Cloudy periods

Sunday night

-3 °C

Cloudy periods. Low minus 3.


A mix of sun and cloud

Monday

1 °C

A mix of sun and cloud. High plus 1.


Yesterday

Low
2.3 °C
High
6.5 °C
Precipitation
0.0 mm

Normals

Low
-6 °C
High
1 °C

Sunrise and Sunset

Sunrise
7:41 AM
Sunset
4:46 PM

Record Values

Type Year Value
Max 2004 10.4 C
Min 2008 -16.6 C
Rainfall 0 mm
Snowfall 0 cm
Precipitation 2004 13.5 mm
Snow On Ground 2002 0.0 cm

Based on Environment Canada data

Rogers Sports & Media
230 The Boardwalk Kitchener, ON, N2N 0B1
© 2006-2022 Rogers Sports & Media. All rights reserved.
push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks