Canadian voters will be hitting the polls on Sept. 20 for a federal election, which was called after Gov. Gen. Mary Simon agreed to dissolve parliament at Prime Minister Trudeau’s request.
Major parties throughout the region already had candidates in place in anticipation of a rumoured fall election. So far, the candidates competing for local ridings are:
- Liberal: Bardish Chagger (incumbent)
- Conservative: Meghan Shannon
- People's Party of Canada: Patrick Doucette
- Liberal: Raj Saini (incumbent)
- Conservative: Mary Henein Thorn
- NDP: Beisan Zubi
- Green: Mike Morrice
- Liberal: Tim Louis (incumbent)
- Conservative: Carelene Hawley
- People's Party of Canada: Kevin Dupuis
- Conservative: Tyler Calver
- Liberal: Valeria Bradford
- NDP: Suresh Arangath
- Liberal: Bryan May (incumbent)
- Conservative: Connie Cody
- Green: Michele Braniff
At the time of writing, Green Party candidates have not been selected for Waterloo, Kitchener-Conestoga, or Kitchener-South Hespeler ridings; NDP candidates have not been selected for Waterloo, Kitchener-Conestoga, or Cambridge ridings.
Kitchener-South Hespeler hopes to name a candidate within the next week.
- With files from CambridgeToday